Published on National Child Traumatic Stress Network - Child Trauma Home
- Children and Domestic Violence Fact Sheet Series (2015) (PDF) The NCTSN Domestic Violence Collaborative Group announces a new series of fact sheets created for parents whose children have been affected by domestic violence. The set of 10 fact sheets gets to the heart of the experiences and needs of these children and families, and offers education in support of their resilience and recovery.
- Domestic Violence and Children: Questions and Answers for Domestic Violence Project Advocates (2011) (PDF)
The Domestic Violence Collaborative Group has developed a factsheet designed for domestic violence project advocates. This factsheet includes helpful information how children react to domestic violence, short and long-term responses to domestic violence, possible reactions to domestic violence, factors that can help children recover and working with parents and their children through domestic violence situations.
- Cops, Kids & Domestic Violence: Protecting Our Future (2006) (Video)
A CD-ROM-based training dealing with the impact of domestic violence on children, developed for law enforcement. Approximately twenty minutes, it is a combination of video and audio clips. The training is focused around a "typical" domestic violence scene to which law enforcement officers are called to respond. The goal of the product is to provide officers with concrete information about what they can do when responding to the scene of a domestic violence call when children are present.
- The product includes PDFs containing core messages about DV for police officers, lists of resources, a pocket-size tip card, and other materials.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: Violence Prevention
Provides information and resources for the public about domestic violence in general, dating violence, and violence prevention.
- Centre for Children and Families in the Justice System
Helps children and families involved with the justice system as victims, as witnesses of crime, or as parties in custody disputes. Much of their work focuses on children exposed to domestic violence and on supporting their nonoffending parent, with downloadable resources for professionals, volunteers, and students.
- Domestic Violence Awareness Month
An NCTSN Web page that marks October as the annual domestic violence awareness month, with links to current resources.
- Futures Without Violence
Provides extensive information about domestic violence from health, public awareness, and social policy perspectives. Resource section includes fact sheets, brochures, posters, and training curricula.
- Hollywood Homeless Youth Partnership
Addressing Intimate Partner Violence in Runaway and Homeless Youth (PDF)
A guide designed to help staff and administrators at agencies serving runaway and homeless youth understand intimate partner violence in this population. Topics include: creating a culture of safety within the agency, assessing imminent danger, understanding protective and restraining orders, and promoting self-care for agency staff.
- Minnesota Center Against Violence and Abuse (MINCAVA) Electronic Clearinghouse
Supports research, education, and access to violence-related resources. Provides resource materials about children and domestic violence, child abuse, effective interventions, services, and coordinated community responses to violence against women for criminal justice professionals, state coalitions, tribal coalitions, and victim advocacy groups.
- National Council of Juvenile and Family Court Judges
Provides training, technical assistance, and research to assist US courts, judges, and staff. The The Family Violence Department supports initiatives aimed at improving judicial response to domestic violence including model statues, guides for judges, training, and technical assistance to professionals, and links to other resources. The Permanency Planning for Children Department supports improvements in judicial handling of child abuse and neglect cases including cases involving children's exposure to domestic violence; offers publications and other resources.
- National Network to End Domestic Violence
A national advocacy organization that provides links to state domestic violence coalitions, and access to information and resources regarding current topics including public policy related to domestic violence.
- University of Iowa School of Social Work
Early Childhood, Domestic Violence and Poverty: Helping Young Children and Their Families (PDF)
A series of six papers that offers recommendations for policy and practice by a variety of professional groups to improve responses to young children affected by domestic violence and poverty. Audience addressed includes health providers, early childhood educators, police, and professionals in domestic violence service agencies and family support programs. Papers available for download.
- U.S. Department of Justice, Office on Violence Against Women
Federal agency that provides legal and policy information related to domestic violence and sexual assault; offers grant funding for a wide variety of domestic violence programs related to law enforcement, advocacy, and social services.