The reference for the manual is:
Abidin, R. R. (1995). Parenting Stress Index, Third Edition: Professional Manual. Psychological Assessment Resources, Inc.
A PsychInfo search (6/05) of the words "Parenting Stress Index-Short Form" or “PSI” anywhere revealed that the measure has been referenced in 87 peer-reviewed journal articles. Below is a sample:
1. Baker, B., McIntyre, L., Blacher, J., Crnic, K., Edelbrock, C. & Low, C. (2003) Preschool children with and without developmental delay: behaviour problems and parenting stress over time. Journal of Intellectual Disability Research, 47, 217–230.
2. Bhavnagri, N. P. (1999). Low-income African American mothers' parenting stress and instructional strategies to promote peer relationships in preschool children. Early Education & Development, 10(4), 551-571.
3. Button, S., Pianta, R. C., & Marvin, R. S. (2001). Partner support and maternal stress in families raising young children with cerebral palsy. Journal of Developmental & Physical Disabilities, 13(1), 61-81.
4. Calkins, S. D., Hungerford, A., & Dedmon, S. E. (2004). Mothers' interactions with temperamentally frustrated infants. Infant Mental Health Journal, 25(3), 219-239.
5. Combs-Orme, T., Cain, D. S., & Wilson, E. E. (2004). Do maternal concerns at delivery predict parenting stress during infancy? Child Abuse & Neglect, 28(4), 377-392.
6. Cowen, P. S. (1998). Crisis child care: An intervention for at-risk families. Issues in Comprehensive Pediatric Nursing, 21(3), 147-158.
7. Deater-Deckard, K., & Scarr, S. (1996). Parenting stress among dual-earner mother and fathers: Are there gender differences. Journal of Family Psychology, 10(1), 45-59.
8. DePanfilis, D., & Dubowitz, H. (2005). Family connections: A program for preventing child neglect. Child Maltreatment: Journal of the American Professional Society on the Abuse of Children, 10(2), 108-123.
9. Douglas, A. R. (2000). Reported anxieties concerning intimate parenting in women sexually abused as children. Child Abuse & Neglect, 24(3), 425-434.
10. Forgays, D. K., Ottaway, S. A., Guarino, A., & D'Alessio, M. (2001). Parenting stress in employed and at-home mothers in Italy. Journal of Family & Economic Issues, 22(4), 327-351.
11. Haskett, M. E., Smith Scott, S., & Sabourin Ward, C. (2004). Subgroups of physically abusive parents based on cluster analysis of parenting behavior and affect. American Journal of Orthopsychiatry, 74, 436-447.
12. Hawley C A, Ward A B, Magnay A & Long J., (2004). Outcomes following childhood head injury: a population study., Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery, and Psychiatry, 75(5), 737 – 742.
13. Hung, J. W., Wu, Y., & Yeh, C. (2004). Comparing stress levels of parents of children with cancer and parents of children with physical disabilities. Psycho-Oncology, 13(12), 898-903.
14. Irwin, J. R., Carter, A. S., & Briggs-Gowan, M. J. (2002). The social-emotional development of "late-talking" toddlers. Journal of the American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry, 41(11), 1324-1332.
15. Kelley, S. J. (1998). Stress and coping behaviors of substance-abusing mothers. Journal of the Society of Pediatric Nurses, 3(3), 103-110.
16. Laganiére, J., Tessier, R., & Nadeau, L. (2003). Mother-infant attachment and prematurity: A link mediatized by maternal perceptions/Attachement dans le cas de prématurité: Un lien médiatisé par les perceptions maternelles. Enfance, 55(2) 101-117.
17. Larson, N. C. (2004). Parenting stress among adolescent mothers in the transition to adulthood. Child & Adolescent Social Work Journal, 21(5), 457-476.
18. Oburu, P. O., & Palmërus, K. (2003). Parenting stress and self-reported discipline strategies of Kenyan caregiving grandmothers. International Journal of Behavioral Development, 27(6), 505-512.
19. Raikes, H. A., & Thompson, R. A. (2005). Efficacy and social support as predictors of parenting stress among families in poverty. Infant Mental Health Journal, 26(3), 177-190.
20. Reitman, D., Currier, R. O., & Stickle, T. R. (2002). A critical evaluation of the parenting stress index-short form (PSI-SF) in a Head Start population. Journal of Clinical Child & Adolescent Psychology, 31(3), 384-392.
21. Schaeffer, C. M., Alexander, P. C., Bethke, K., & Kretz, L. S. (2005). Predictors of child
abuse potential among military parents: Comparing mothers and fathers. Journal of Family
Violence, 20(2), 123-129.
22. Silovsky, J. F., & Niec, L. (2002). Characteristics of young children with sexual behavior problems: A pilot study. Child Maltreatment: Journal of the American Professional Society on the Abuse of Children, 7(3), 187-197.
23. Smith, T. B., Oliver, M. N. I., & Innocenti, M. S. (2001). Parenting stress in families of children with disabilities. American Journal of Orthopsychiatry, 71(2), 257-261.
24. Spencer, M. S., Kalill, A., Larson, N. C., Spieker, S. J., & Gilchrist, L. D. (2002). Multigenerational coresidence and childrearing conflict: Links to parenting stress in teenage mothers across the first two years postpartum. Applied Developmental Science, 6(3) 157-170.
25. Tan, S., & Rey, J. (2005). Depression in the young, parental depression and parenting stress. Australasian Psychiatry, 13(1) 76-79.
26. Timmer, S. G., Sedlar, G., & Urquiza, A. J. (2004). Challenging children in kin versus nonkin foster care: Perceived costs and benefits to caregivers. Child Maltreatment: Journal of the American Professional Society on the Abuse of Children, 9(3), 251-262.
27. Tomanik, S., Harris, G. E., & Hawkins, J. (2004). The relationship between behaviours exhibited by children with autism and maternal stress. Journal of Intellectual & Developmental Disability, 29(1), 16-26.
28. Waisbren, S. E., Rones, M., Read, C. Y., Marsden, D., & Levy, H. L. (2004). Brief report: Predictors of parenting stress among parents of children with biochemical genetic disorders. Journal of Pediatric Psychology, 29(7), 565-570.
29. Wolfe, R. B., & Hirsch, B. J. (2003). Outcomes of parent education programs based on
reevaluation counseling. Journal of Child & Family Studies, 12(1) 61-76.
Other Related References
1. Abidin, R. A. (1976). Parenting skills. New York: Human Sciences Press.